What questions to ask Biber?

xuyi

普通会员
Reppen and Biber in NAU is coming to my university. I am thinking this is a good chance, but i am not too familiar with the topic; interested in actual techniques for using concordances. Do you guys have suggestions for what questions i could ask? They are building the American National Corpus
http://americannationalcorpus.org/index.html

You may ask them about how to buy the book they have written on variation on speech and writing in China?
it is really a good chance! which university are you in? Do the outsiders have the possibility to participate in the activity in your school?

1. Variation has been the key key word in Biber's research. Whatesle is he going to explore in corpus-based research?

2. Can corpus-based research go beyond lexis and incorporate more discourse-functional research? Currently discourse-pragmatic corpus research is still largely limted to lexical(ized) structures.

回复:What questions to ask Biber?

Since guys with a strong background in computer science, e.g. Rayson (2002), have began to semantically compare linguistic features across corpora, how long will it take to make it a mainstream?

References:
Rayson, Paul. Matrix: A statistical method and software tool for linguistic analysis through corpus comparison. Ph. D. Dissertation. Lancaster University, 2002.

Thank you very much for the questions! If you guys are interested, i will summarize the answers and post them here this weekend. The sources you refer to are very helpful to me as well.
To Stream, i am at University of Arizona. I am not sure whether they would know the publication information in China, but if there is a need, i can bring a book or two back to China, or mail it to you. (But i looked at Amazon and it costs 30 dollars here.)

Back
顶部