Semantic associations in Business English: A corpus-based analysis

laohong

管理员
Staff member
Semantic associations in Business English: A corpus-based analysis

Mike Nelson

University of Turku Language Centre, Turku 20014, Finland

Abstract

This paper examines the semantic associations of words found in the business lexical environment by using a one-million word corpus of both spoken and written Business English. The key method of analysis is that of semantic prosody or semantic association; the notion that words associate with collocates that are themselves related, often either negatively or positively or belonging to a specific semantic set. The paper thus shows how words in the Business English environment interact with each other on a semantic level. After a brief introduction and literature review on semantic prosody, the main research based on an analysis of corpus data is presented. It shows that not only do words in the business environment have semantic prosodies, that is they are found to regularly collocate with word groups that share semantic similarity, they also have prosodies that are unique to business, separate from the prosodies they generate in the ‘general English’ environment. It was also noted, however, that these prosodies are not all-consuming, and often only represent strong tendencies for lexical relations, rather than a firmly fixed relationship. The article ends by discussing the pedagogical consequences that this research may have when the results are introduced into the classroom.

See attached for the full paper.

Last edited:
回复: Semantic associations in Business English: A corpus-based analysis

Where is the attached file?
It can be found in English for Specific Purposes 25:2 (2006) 217–234

Sorry, the attachement was removed, as my uploading quota was used up and will not upload any more files until later.

oh, i see, it doesn't matter, i downloaded it by myself.

i want to read the full paper. How can i get it?

老大,你没看到楼上的帖子。或者说我英文很糟?

Back
顶部