Appraising Research: Taking a stance in ...

laohong

管理员
Staff member
以下是引用 niepengli2005-12-8 18:27:28 的发言:I am working on a project about interpersonal meaning in academic writing,who can tell me any other relevant research made by other scholars?

Here is a 300-page PhD thesis, some sections are about interpersonal meaning in academic writing.

Appraising Research: Taking a stance in academic writing

Susan Hood
Faculty of Education, University of Technology, Sydney

ABSTRACT

This thesis is located at the intersection of linguistics and education. The aim of the thesis is to explore, from a linguistic perspective, the construction of evaluative stance in the introductory sections of academic research papers, in order to input directly into pedagogic practice in academic literacy in English. The pedagogic focus is research writing at undergraduate level, a context that represents an important transition for many students into new forms of language, as they learn to argue for their own research in relation to other knowledge and other knowers in their field.

The data for the study include the introductory sections of both undergraduate dissertations written in English as a second language, and the introductory sections of published research papers that were used as pedagogic models. The linguistic construal of evaluative stance is investigated through a detailed study of the discourse semantics of interpersonal meaning, drawing on the model of Appraisal within Systemic Functional Linguistics (Martin 2000) as the theoretical point of departure. Language choices in the data are interpreted with reference to the theory. At the same time the theory itself is interrogated and further developed in its application to the academic texts that comprise the data in this study. An initial analysis of the construal of evaluative stance in the published texts becomes a reference point for identifying the resources and strategies used by the student writers. The objective, however, is not primarily to make generalisations about how published writers and student writers evaluate. Rather the aim is to develop a theoretical framework to explain the evaluative strategies that are encoded in the texts, and the implications of choosing
amongst different strategies.

The thesis contributes a theoretically motivated, multidimensional and dynamic explanation of evaluative stance in the context of academic argument. The study addresses the kinds of values that are expressed, how and by whom, as well as how interpersonal meanings are distributed in texts and how they interact dynamically in the construction of an argument for the writer’s own study. The thesis contributes functional linguistic explanations of the ways in which academic writers manage the dual demands of ‘objectivity’ and argument, as well as how they manage to maintain solidarity with their academic discourse community while establishing difference and hence space for their own research. The thesis explicates a range of evaluative strategies employed by academic writers, and demonstrates how different evaluative strategies have implications for the construction of different kinds of knowledge.

Download the full version of the thesis here:
http://www.corpus4u.org/upload/forum/2005120821454797.pdf

Thank you for sharing. However, sometimes, we should not download the materials for the sake of materials. I think we should read and discuss them in the same posting later. What's more important is to think over them, rather than just own them.

Just tested the link, it works well. You may need download and install latest Acrobat Reader (7.05) if you don't have Adobe Acrobat Professional. Simply search "Acrobat Reader" in Google, you can find a lot of webs to download it free of charge.

回复:Appraising Research: Taking a stance in ...

以下是引用 windyyw2005-12-9 20:26:28 的发言:
Thank you for sharing. However, sometimes, we should not download the materials for the sake of materials. I think we should read and discuss them in the same posting later. What's more important is to think over them, rather than just own them.

Fairly enough, but can you pls post your comment on Susan's study after you read it?

OK,I'll take it as a motivation to read the thesis. But I'm afraid you have to wait till the end of the winter vacation for my comments, as I'm a slow reader who is enjoying many gifts offered by you all.

回复: Appraising Research: Taking a stance in ...

I have searched for a long time for this topic. Very pleased to find some related information here. but i can't get the paper from the above website. What's the matter, could you tell me Pls?

IE browser plus 10 minutes' patience assures you a successful download!
Sept. 2011

刚刚试了,单击右键另存,10秒钟下载成功。

Back
顶部