About cohesive features in EFL writing

jackzch

普通会员
I intend to make a small corpus of English majors writing, based on which to explore the cohesive devices employed by those students. Is it feasible? should i analyze one kind or all kinds of cohesive devices? Can anyone give me any suggestion?
THANKS!

I think that's feasible.

You can base your classification of the cohesive devices on either Quirk et al (1985) or Celce-Murcia and Larsen-Frenman (1999)'s framework.

It's better to analyse more than one category of cohesive devices, such as listing, summative, appositional, contrastive, transitional, inferential, resultive, corroborative etc..

The followings are related papers that might be useful to your study.

Altenberg B. and Tapper M. (1998) The use of adverbial connectors in advanced Swedish learners' written English. In Granger S. (ed.) Learner English on Computer. London & New York: Addison Wesley Longman, 80-93.

Bolton, K., Nelson, G. & Hung, J. 2002. A corpus-based study of connectors in student writing. International Journal of Corpus Linguistics, 2, pp. 165-182.

Granger, S.& Petch-Tyson. 1996. Connector usage in the English essay writing of native and non-native EFL speakers of English. World Englishes 15: 19-29.

Chen Cheryl Wei-yu (2006). The use of conjunctive adverbials in the academic papers of advanced Taiwanese EFL learners. International Journal of Corpus Linguistics 11:1. 2006. ca. 120 pp. (pp. 113C130)

[本贴已被 作者 于 2006年03月31日 00时22分56秒 编辑过]

非常感谢ocean的帮助。基于韩礼德(1976)的分类好不好?
期待更多老师的批评和建议。

回复:About cohesive features in EFL writing

以下是引用 jackzch2006-3-31 7:54:34 的发言:
非常感谢ocean的帮助。基于韩礼德(1976)的分类好不好?
期待更多老师的批评和建议。

Celce-Murcia and Larsen-Freeman (1999)的分类就是基于韩礼德(1976)的分类,做了一些简化:Additive, adversative, Causal and Temporal (see, Chen 2006)

谢谢OCEAN的耐心指导。请问哪儿可以买到Celce-Murcia and Larsen-Freeman (1999), 或Chen 2006)

Mr Ocean,could you kindly provide me with those papers you mentioned above.
Altenberg B. and Tapper M. (1998) The use of adverbial connectors in advanced Swedish learners' written English. In Granger S. (ed.) Learner English on Computer. London & New York: Addison Wesley Longman, 80-93.

Bolton, K., Nelson, G. & Hung, J. 2002. A corpus-based study of connectors in student writing. International Journal of Corpus Linguistics, 2, pp. 165-182.

Granger, S.& Petch-Tyson. 1996. Connector usage in the English essay writing of native and non-native EFL speakers of English. World Englishes 15: 19-29.

Chen Cheryl Wei-yu (2006). The use of conjunctive adverbials in the academic papers of advanced Taiwanese EFL learners. International Journal of Corpus Linguistics 11:1. 2006. ca. 120 pp. (pp. 113C130)

有些衔接手段(比如reference,omission)是不是不好检索啊?用WS4能检索出来吗?

以下是引用 jackzch2006-4-13 1:01:57 的发言:
Mr Ocean,could you kindly provide me with those papers you mentioned above.

这些论文在国家图书馆里都有,可以去复印。我手里没有电子版的。Granger & Tyson的在Gmail帐户中

Please download it at the link in No. 12. The link in my posting points to the original download location on the web outside China, which is inaccessible for some users in China.

回复: About cohesive features in EFL writing

上面提到的论文不知道发贴的人找到没,如果没有我可以提供一些。

回复: About cohesive features in EFL writing

上面提到的论文不知道发贴的人找到没,如果没有我可以提供一些。

fountainli[FONT=宋体]老师:[/FONT]
[FONT=宋体]
[FONT=宋体]您好!不知道您那里还有没有[/FONT]Chen, C. W.-y. 2006. The use of conjunctive adverbials in the academic papers of advanced Taiwanese EFL learners. IJCL 1: 113-130.[FONT=宋体]这篇文章?我现在正在做硕士论文需要参考此文,多谢了!
[FONT=宋体]我的电邮:
ccp2111abc@163.com:)
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Back
顶部