LOCNESS corpus: US-UK students" writing

以下是引用 asan822005-10-11 13:40:29 的发言:
我发了一封EMAIL给她可是没有回音啊. 看来LOCNESS虽好,可是......呜呜
以下是引用 bravo2005-10-11 14:07:43 的发言:
I have mailed several times the holders, but no reply.
以下是引用 oscar32005-10-11 14:05:22 的发言:
So did I. DEPRESSING.

In a casual chat with the developers, it seems that they are not really happy to see the "popularity" of LOCNESS in some countries, coz they are surprised to find that there are some people working with LOCNESS corpus though these people got the corpus NOT "via official channels". This, of course, is against the term in the agreement form, "no part of the corpus is to be distributed to a third party without specific authorization from CECL". Maybe this explains why some enquiries about the corpus were not entertained.

BTW, the corpus is not free, the license fee is 100 Euro per copy. Pls see the LOCNESS form below:

LOUVAIN CORPUS OF NATIVE ENGLISH ESSAY WRITING

The LOCNESS corpus is a corpus of native English essay writing (university level and A-level) and is available under the following conditions:

(1) the corpus is to be used for non-commercial purposes only

(2) all publications on research partly or wholly based on the corpus should give credit to the Centre for English Corpus Linguistics (CECL), Université Catholique de Louvain, Belgium. A copy or offprint of the publication should also be sent to CECL

(3) no part of the corpus is to be distributed to a third party without specific authorization from CECL.
The corpus can only be used by the person signing the licence form and researchers working in close collaboration with him/her or students under his/her supervision, attached to the same institution.

(4) Payment of 100 EURO. Method of payment: by international money order or Western Union (in EURO) to

S. Granger. Centre for English Corpus Linguistics.

If you are interested in the corpus and agree to the above conditions, please complete and sign the form and return it to:

Professor Sylviane Granger
Centre for English Corpus Linguistics
Université Catholique de Louvain
1, place Blaise Pascal
B-1348 Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium

NAME:

INSTITUTION:

DEPARTMENT:

ADDRESS:

E-MAIL:
TELEPHONE:
FAX:

TOPIC OF RESEARCH:

TYPE OF PUBLICATION: MA Dissertation / PhD / Conference paper/ Article / Book

I agree to the above-mentioned conditions stated and enclose an international money order

----------------------- ----------------------------------
(date) (signature)

yet it is of great necessity for them to tell anyone who is interested in it about the ways to gain access to the corpus if possible. access to wider usership is good to it as well as the promotion of corpus linguistics at large. unfortuantely it has done nothing about it. it is pity! nonofficial channel is reasoanble and sensible under the context!!

回复:LOCNESS corpus: US-UK students" writing

I've got a licensed copy of LOCNESS, which costs 100 euros. could you send me your taggeg version of this? Many thanks!

八,九百块人民币吧.
看来搞科研真是离不开资金啊.

[本贴已被 作者 于 2005年12月09日 18时32分42秒 编辑过]

以下是引用 xiaoz2005-9-9 21:10:34 的发言:

Without more suitable dataset, TEM-4/8 corpus can be compared with LOCNESS. I have even found people comparing CLEC with LOB and Brown!

Dr. Xiaoz ,
Do you mean (Without more suitable dataset) it's not good enough to compare CLEC with LOB? or Brown? Or ICE-GB? Thanks!

There is an over-30-year gap between CLEC and LOB/Brown, which is long enough for language change. ICE contains both spoken (60%) and written data but CLEC is only written. I think you can compare CLEC with the written part of ICE if you do not have more comparable data.

以下是引用 xiaoz2005-6-20 0:59:47 的发言:
should be free of charge
Dr. Xiao, if that's free, how could we get a copy? Many of us are in need of LOCNESS.

要是再搞个团购就好了(不过团购确实够麻烦各位管理员的)!或者几个人凑点钱把它买下来共享也可以啊!

Re: LOCNESS corpus: US-UK students" writing

好贵啊!我一直在找这个语料库,也给作者去了email,但一直没有回音!
今天才看到实情,郁闷啊!

回复: LOCNESS corpus: US-UK students" writing

谁有Locness语料库,我需要其中的一个部分University of Michigan (codes: ICLE-US-MICH-0001.1-45.1)

43 essays (16,502 words)

Timed essays
Argumentative
No reference tools used

All students are fully English native speakers (except for - nr23 & nr34)

No indication of NL for nr36

Topic: Great inventions and discoveries of 20th century and their impact on people’s lives (one per interview - computer, television, etc.),我只需要raw material,哪位好心人帮个忙,非常非常感谢!有偿转让也可以,请发邮件到hedy_sisu@163.com,谢谢!谢谢!!

我也是希望好心人能和我share一下,有偿的也是应该的。能帮忙者,请联系w_sh04@163.com

这样做应该是不可以的。有偿的话,也应该是跟原作者购买。
Corpus4U从来不鼓励互相传播有版权的资源、软件等。

请问一下有LOCNESS的老师,British pupils' A-level essays 的codes 是什么?
我拿到的LOCNESS没有subcorpus,全都在一个文档,只知道ICLE-US的是美国大学生作文,其他的ESME,ESLE等都不清楚,不好分辨。
麻烦手头有这个语料的老师同学帮忙解释一下,非常感谢!:)

I have a copy of the corpus which I POS tagged using CLAWS. If you can prove that you have obtained a copy of raw corpus from Granger or De Cock, I will be happy to provide you with my tagged version.

I am preparing for my graduate thesis and I terribly need LOCNESS . I have contacted Prof.Granger twice , she sent me an contact and ask me to sign it and send it by post to the address. The adress is Université catholique de Louvain
Centre for English Corpus Linguistics
Place Blaise Pascal 1
B-1348 Louvain-la-Neuve
Belgium. But I found most post office in China don't kown the exact adress and I don't kown how to do this. I am so grateful if you can help me.
thank you so much! could you please send to me :joyfulkelly@126.com

Last edited:

请问一下有LOCNESS的老师,British pupils' A-level essays 的codes 是什么?
我拿到的LOCNESS没有subcorpus,全都在一个文档,只知道ICLE-US的是美国大学生作文,其他的ESME,ESLE等都不清楚,不好分辨。
麻烦手头有这个语料的老师同学帮忙解释一下,非常感谢!:)

到LOCNESS网站http://www.fltr.ucl.ac.be/fltr/germ/etan/cecl/Cecl-Projects/Icle/locness1.htm去看具体的分类信息。

Back
顶部