求Susan Hunston的文章:Semantic prosody revisited

hancunxin

请各位朋友帮忙,求文献一篇!~
Semantic prosody revisited
Autores: Susan Hunston
Localización: International journal of corpus linguistics, ISSN 1384-6655, Vol. 12, N? 2, 2007 , pags. 249-268

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

回复: 求Susan Hunston的文章:Semantic prosody revisited

Could you please tell me how to get the paper, Dr. Xu? I couldn't download it. Thanks.

I've made it. Thank you anyway.

In the first place, it is not a very original article. It is a paper which pays "due" tribute to John Sinclair as it appears in the special issue in memory of him.

After a quick look at the abstract, you will agree with me. If you read on, yon won't be able to find anything new either.

In the paper, following John Sinclair, she argues for the unit of meaning, which is by no means a well-defined term. As a corpus linguist, she, as well as John Sinclair, seems to think that a lexical item has inherent meaning only if it is used in context. Meaning in this sense emerges as the cumulative effect of the behavior(s) of the lexical item and its context. Putting together, it can be seen and reduced to the unit of meaning. But this unit of meaning is so elastic and sensitive to context.

If meaning is always contextualized, then in retrospect, in the earliest of language, all words were like tabula rasa and meaningLESS. This is simply impossible. In other words, when words were first used, they had meaning per se. Discourse prosody, or semantic prosody only enables us to observe the meaning with more quantitative/probabilistic confidence.

So semantic prosody approach is not a final/facelift solution to lexical semantics.

language meaning vs. speaker/utterance meaning

semantic meanging vs. pragmatic meaning

Your distinction makes good sense.

But Sinclair wanted to build up a new theoretical framework, if I am not wrong, the linear unit grammar. Context-dependent unit of meaning has been a cornerstone in the framework.

Thanks a lot for your offer as well as your comments!

Back
顶部