Prof. Ronald Carter

动态语法

管理员
Staff member
A leader in corpora and applied English studies

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/english/staff/carter.htm

Self Profile

My main interests are in the broad field of applied linguistics. This includes working on the relationship between language and education, linguistics, language learning and teaching and the interface between language and literature. I have been at Nottingham University since 1979 and have been Director of the Centre for English Language Education and Head of the School of English Studies. At the moment I am Deputy Head of School.

Within the context of Education I am currently working on the development of spoken competence in the National Curriculum for England and Wales on projects with QCA (Qualifications and Curriculum Authority) and am currently part-seconded to the DfES as advisor for ESOL. I find myself working abroad a lot and have lectured in over forty countries world-wide, often on consultancies with governments overseas or in conjunction with the British Council. In terms of UK education I also have particular interests in widening participation, especially with minority ethnic groups, am working on e-tutoring projects in this connection and currently chair the University's Widening Participation and Access Committee. I co-convene an interdisciplinary research group in language and health communication with the Faculty of Medicine and the Schools of Sociology, Pharmacy and Nursing.

In the field of applied linguistics my interests are in discourse-based grammar, vocabulary, corpus linguistics and literary stylistics. In terms of literature and language, my main interest is in the relationship between language and creativity, especially with reference to spoken discourse. I am advisor to Routledge Publishers, London in English language studies, applied linguistics and English language teaching and learning. I have written and edited over forty books and one hundred articles in these fields.

I was a member of the English Panel for the 2001 RAE (Research Assessment Exercise), with particular responsibility for English language and applied linguistics.

I am on the Editorial Boards of the journals Applied Linguistics, Journal of Applied Linguistics, Language and Literature and RELC Journal, and was recently an Editorial Advisor for the Encarta World English Dictionary. I am on the Advisory Board of IATEFL. I am currently chair of BAAL (British Association for Applied Linguistics) and was recently elected a fellow of the British Academy for Social Sciences.

-----
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/english/staff/carter.htm

Back
顶部