[讨论] CLEC-Based error analysis

hancunxin

A CLEC-Based Analysis of the Present Perfect Errors

This is also the topic of my MA thesis. i want to share some of my thoughts with readers and welcome a reciprocal communication.

i searched CLEC for all the tense errors( coded [vp6] in CLEC) with wordsmith3 and got 2971 hits. i am going to read all the concordance lines and pick out all the present perfect errors. i will count the errors in subcorpora repectively and make a comparison between them.

This research has 3 hypotheses:

First, we usually think the middle-school students probably made the most present perfect errors. Next come the college students. After that come English majors. But in this paper, I hope to prove the viewpoint above is not always true. We expect to find that English majors made no fewer errors than those students of lower English proficiency.

Besides, I expect to make a conclusion the Chinese students are under-using the present perfect in their writings because they usually avoid using it. They avoid using it because the present perfect is hard for them to master, which can be explained by the difference between L1 and L2 .

Finally, I suppose that the most errors made by Chinese students are inter-lingual errors, which are caused by the negative L1 transfer.

how can i you find that or say to prove that they take the strategy of avoidance in dealing with present perfect? by counting the number of errors and run anova then say oh there are no signifiacnt differences in them, then you pesume that avoidance is one of the strategies used by students? probably it is frankly a graet hypothesis ,yet the explanation could be more than one so avoidance could be one of the answers yet there could be more then just that! you could hardly defend yourself against the similiar questioning lodged at you in thesis defence, i am afraid!

回复:[讨论] CLEC-Based error analysis

以下是引用 清风出袖2005-9-6 21:36:29 的发言:
how can i you find that or say to prove that they take the strategy of avoidance in dealing with present perfect? by counting the number of errors and run anova then say oh there are no signifiacnt differences in them, then you pesume that avoidance is one of the strategies used by students? probably it is frankly a graet hypothesis ,yet the explanation could be more than one so avoidance could be one of the answers yet there could be more then just that! you could hardly defend yourself against the similiar questioning lodged at you in thesis defence, i am afraid!

yes, you are right. it is hard to prove. of course, there are more than one explanations. the L1 transfer could be another one. i can't think of any more causes except the two above so far. you reminded me of another problem . that is how can i prove the Chinese students are underusing the present perfect in their writings. i need to count out the frquency of the correct usages. the problem is that some students tended to use the present perfect but made some other errors, for example, an incorrect form of participle. should i take those usages with a pitfall into account. besides, i need a native writer's corpus for comparison. it's better be LOCNESS. very confused.

my thesis proposal up to now is still an immature one. it needs to be challenged and questioned so that i can do sth to refine it. your advice and questions often give me a flash in mind and generate many initial ideas and questions. thanks!

[本贴已被 作者 于 2005年09月06日 22时57分37秒 编辑过]

正巧本人也在做TRANSFER 的东西。对于你的第二假设,我曾查过一些资料,觉得比较难做。对于AVOIDANCE的定义如果遵循ELLIS在他的那本经典的二语习得书上介绍的来源,以及他的评论来看,比较苛刻。一般说你必须要有中外两组人员的材料。这比较麻烦。如果你的材料选取于CLEC和BNC的话,因为这两个库的构件成分和目的不同,我个人认为很难有说服力。当然,你做的是时态问题,影响或许会小一些。上交大的濮建中博士的博士论文我记得他的对比库好象是用BROWN 担当的,但是他的论文中好象也写了这种做法并不圆满。不过他做的是词,好象影响不是那样大,但你做肯定要会注意体裁问题的。所以如果你可以找到体裁相近的中外两个库的话,这就好办多了。
其次,最后一个假设,证明起来好象用调查表更流行一些。国内蔡金亭博士曾经写过两篇实证的研究文章,你可以用CNKI上查一下。此外, 他的博士论文也是做体态的,好象是做一般过去时的。我觉得
可能对你有帮助。

以上只是自己当时碰见这问题时的一点个人想法,并不一定对,还请各位大侠指正。

以下是引用 bravo2005-9-6 22:56:38 的发言:

正巧本人也在做TRANSFER 的东西。对于你的第二假设,我曾查过一些资料,觉得比较难做。对于AVOIDANCE的定义如果遵循ELLIS在他的那本经典的二语习得书上介绍的来源,以及他的评论来看,比较苛刻。一般说你必须要有中外两组人员的材料。这比较麻烦。如果你的材料选取于CLEC和BNC的话,因为这两个库的构件成分和目的不同,我个人认为很难有说服力。当然,你做的是时态问题,影响或许会小一些。上交大的濮建中博士的博士论文我记得他的对比库好象是用BROWN 担当的,但是他的论文中好象也写了这种做法并不圆满。不过他做的是词,好象影响不是那样大,但你做肯定要会注意体裁问题的。所以如果你可以找到体裁相近的中外两个库的话,这就好办多了。
其次,最后一个假设,证明起来好象用调查表更流行一些。国内蔡金亭博士曾经写过两篇实证的研究文章,你可以用CNKI上查一下。此外, 他的博士论文也是做体态的,好象是做一般过去时的。我觉得
可能对你有帮助。

以上只是自己当时碰见这问题时的一点个人想法,并不一定对,还请各位大侠指正。

thanks for your advice. it is a great help. would you please give me more details about the L1 transfer literature. i mean would you please recommend some books or literature to read. i have found very few such materials.

[本贴已被 作者 于 2005年09月07日 08时57分18秒 编辑过]

For the general review:

Ellis, Rod. (1994). The Study of Second Language Acquisition. Oxford: Oxford University Press.

For the detailed thinking:

Gass, S. & Selinker, L. (ed.) (1992) Language Transfer in Language Learning. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
Gass, S. & Selinker, L. (eds.) Language Transfer in Language Learning. Rowley, Mass: Newbury House.
Kellerman, E. & Smith, M.S. (eds.) (1992). Crosslinguistic Influence in Second Language Acquisition. Oxford: Pergamon.
Selinker, L. (1992). Rediscovering Interlanguage. Amsterdam: John Benjamins Publishing Company
高远,(2002)《对比分析与错误分析》北京:北京航空航天大学出版社。

As for the articles, I don't know your specific purpose. It is better for you to seach them online.

以下是引用 bravo2005-9-7 22:06:02 的发言:
For the general review:

Ellis, Rod. (1994). The Study of Second Language Acquisition. Oxford: Oxford University Press.

For the detailed thinking:

Gass, S. & Selinker, L. (ed.) (1992) Language Transfer in Language Learning. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
Gass, S. & Selinker, L. (eds.) Language Transfer in Language Learning. Rowley, Mass: Newbury House.
Kellerman, E. & Smith, M.S. (eds.) (1992). Crosslinguistic Influence in Second Language Acquisition. Oxford: Pergamon.
Selinker, L. (1992). Rediscovering Interlanguage. Amsterdam: John Benjamins Publishing Company
高远,(2002)《对比分析与错误分析》北京:北京航空航天大学出版社。

As for the articles, I don't know your specific purpose. It is better for you to seach them online.

thanks a lot!

以下是引用 frankliang2005-9-19 0:19:02 的发言:
Corder's classical work on error analysis:
http://www.corpus4u.com/upload/forum/2005091710424667.rar

thanks a lot!

Search collocation, pattern, construction and their near synonyms via our in-site search engine on the first page of Corpus4U.

WANTED!!!

Collocations in a Learner Corpus
by Nadja Nesselhauf
University of Heidelberg
Studies in Corpus Linguistics 14
2005. xii, 332 pp.
2005092310484071.gif

Table of contents

Abbreviations ix
Acknowledgements xi
Collocations in native and non-native speaker language 1C10
Investigating collocations in a learner corpus 11C63
The use of collocations by advanced learners 65C163
Building material of non-native-like collocations 165C198
Factors correlating with learners' difficulties with collocations 199C236
Implications of the findings 237C273
Notes 275C305
References 307C320
Appendix I 321
Appendix II 323
Index 329

[本贴已被 作者 于 2005年09月23日 10时52分06秒 编辑过]

补充两本有关TRANSFER的: language transfer:cross-linguistic influence in language learning by Terence Odlin 上海外语教育出版社 (RMB:14.00); 语言迁移与二语习得 俞理明 上海外教2004 (RMB:15.00)

Back
顶部